Name of organisation:
Symbol Trust UK
What does your organisation do?
Symbol UK is an independent not-for-profit Speech and Language Therapy service based in the south east of England but operating on a national basis. The service has been established over 10 years and employs around 60 staff.
Symbol works to develop the communication skills of children, young people and adults in partnership with schools, health trusts, health commissioners, local authorities, voluntary organisations, residential service providers and parent led groups.
Symbol also provides cost effective, evidence-based consultation, workforce development, assessment and intervention.
Symbol staff have a range of specialties including eating and drinking, autism spectrum, Down’s Syndrome and hearing impairment as well as involvement in research.
Our current and recent work includes:
• Service provision in a range of special schools, including those for pupils with specific language impairment, autistic spectrum disorders, moderate and severe learning disabilities, hearing impairment, visual impairment and physical disability
• Supporting students in mainstream schools and Colleges of Further Education
• Pre-school services, including Sure Start Children’s Centres
• Developing life skills with teenagers and adults
• Supporting adults in a range of community settings
• Working with young offenders
• Developing staff knowledge, skills and confidence in a range of settings
• Training co-workers and specialist speech and language therapists for the Down Syndrome Association
• Specialised short courses in, for example, Augmentative and Assistive Communication, Profound and Multiple Learning Disabilities, Challenging behaviour, Effective working in schools, Person Centred Communication, Visual communication strategies and Management of eating and drinking disorders
• Providing independent reviews of speech and language therapy provision in several local authorities
• Partnership working with organisations such as I CAN, DSA, NSPCC, The Communication Trust
• Providing communication training to large business organisations