Name of organisation:
Makaton Charity, The
What does your organisation do?
Makaton uses signs, symbols and speech to help people communicate. Makaton is used by children and adults with learning or communication difficulties and everyone who shares their lives.
Being able to communicate is the most important skill we need in life. Almost everything we do involves communication; everyday tasks such as learning at school, asking for food and drink, sorting out problems, making friends and having fun all rely on our ability to communicate with each other.
We help people to communicate:
• delivering training to parents, carers, and professionals;
• developing and producing printed and electronic resources;
• working with others to make their information accessible;
• providing advice and support to families and professionals;
• working in partnership to influence society and empower people.
Through our network of 1,200 licensed Makaton tutors and trainers, over 30,000 parents, carers and professionals receive Makaton training each year. Our cascade approach enables us to share knowledge and empower others to improve communication for everyone.
Makaton is the only intervention using signs and symbols that is included in the evidence based information and research database What Works, which provides information and evaluation of interventions for children with speech, language and communication needs.